The oldest part of the church, however, is the north wall of the nave, where a 13th century lancet window remains to the east of the porch which shelters a pretty Early English period doorway. The door itself seems to be of the same period.

The north door, including its iron-work and its stone surround, dates from 1304. The two carved heads were disfigured at the Reformation or in the 17th century.

Notice the step down into the church which makes wheel-chair access difficult. As part of our Hub project, we have in mind improving disabled access by re-laying the porch floor to continue the gentle slope of the churchyard path down into the church, and this was probably how it used to be anyway.

This technique has been done to great effect in the south-west door at St Mary, Redcliffe, a good example for us to follow.


And here is the north door from the inside.