The fine stone pulpit, with its elegant goblet shape, is a fifteenth century work, showing the growing importance of preaching.

The narrow fluted support for the pulpit is unusual although there is a similar pulpit at St John the Baptist in Broad Street Bristol (above St John's Gate of the city wall and notable for its water supplied by conduit from Brandon Hill since 1374).

Indeed the window structures at St James, Westerleigh are very similar in design to those of "St John's on the Wall".