Rev Richard Stevens (1841 - 1935) was vicar of the parish from 1886 - 1921, "by whose energy and devotion the church was restored, the vicarage built, the schools enlarged and the bells rehung." 

Before Westerleigh could be separated from Pucklechurch into a separate Ecclesiastical parish, a vicarage had to be provided which the Rev Stevens did this in 1886 at his own expense of £2,357. The church was re-opened in 1886 at a cost of £2223 and the bells were re-hung in 1903.