The Chancel is the area beyond the nave, east of the chancel arch. The word comes from the latin “cancelli”, a lattice or grill.

Until the Reformation, a lattice-work wooden screen divided the chancel from the nave, probably with painted pictures of the saints, and a large cross above it.

The chancel, with the choir stalls, was restored in 1896-1906. The single stall on the left is occupied by the minister leading worship.

Strangely, the parish is not responsible in law for the upkeep of the chancel in many English churches. In our case the Commissioners of the Church of England have that duty and indeed the Commissioners funded repairs to the chancel roof in 1896 and again in 2013.