A Tithe was the payment of one tenth of local produce to the church and had been established since Anglo-Saxon England. However payment in kind was sometimes not convenient for either the farmer or the tithe owner, so the Tithe Commutation Act 1836 allowed tithes to be paid in cash rather than goods. Maps of all parishes in England and Wales were prepared following the act so that the exact due payment could be assessed.

This map was created by Harold A Lane and “represents the parish lands as they were at the time of the Tithe”. The text reads “We the undersigned Tithe Commissioners for England and Wales do hereby certify this to be a map or Plan referred to in the Apportionment of the Rent Charge in lieu of Tithes in the Parish of Westerleigh in the county of Gloucestershire. Received 3 November 1846.”

Notice the New Inn in Westerleigh village, also the Malt House, the Smithy, the Pound and Broad Lane.

Notice also the north-south path of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Railway from Derby which had opened in 1844.

However the east-west railway, London to South Wales, did not come until Westerleigh Junction was opened in 1903.